Programs and Skills Groups
Locations: Plymouth and Elk River
Daytime and Evening Groups Offered at Both Locations
Description: Adhering to Marsha LInehan, PhD's Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) protocol and curriculum, we offer a state-certified intensive outpatient DBT program designed to treat clients with a high risk of suicide, self-destructive and impulsive behaviors, chronic feelings of emptiness, high anxiety, severe depression, complex post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), addictions, and eating disorders. Clients in this program meet once per week with an individual therapist, and attend a 2.5 hour weekly skills group, while utilizing phone-coaching as needed, in a year-long program designed to help clients build a life worth living. Our Trauma-Informed team also utilizes treatment modalities such as EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, and other forms of therapy to help clients reprocess trauma within their individual sessions. Availability varies by location, please call our scheduling line for more information.
Trauma-Informed DBT (TI-DBT)
Locations: Elk River and Plymouth
Evening Groups offered in Elk River
Daytime and Evening Groups offered in Plymouth
Description: Marsha Linehan, PhD. developed Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) as an intensive outpatient treatment program designed to treat clients struggling with Emotion Dysregulation. Many of the individuals struggling with Emotion Dysregulation have experienced some form of trauma, whether it was single traumatic events, attachment or complex trauma, or any life experiences that overwhelmed the capacity to cope. For these individuals, an important part of stabilizing and overcoming challenges with Emotion Dysregulation is learning about the effects of trauma, and how to make sense of the symptoms.
Trauma-Informed DBT integrates psychoeducation about the impact of trauma on the brain and body with DBT’s behavioral skills. Participants will learn practical skills and strategies for reducing symptoms while increasing understanding of how symptoms developed within the context of trauma. Trauma-Informed DBT helps individuals to reverse trauma’s painful imprint on their body, brain, and nervous system.
Skills For Life (Adapted DBT Group for Adults)
Wednesdays at 6:00pm
Description: Our "Skills for Life" adapted skills group meets once per week for 90 minutes, using an accelerated approach to teaching the 4 modules of DBT. Clients in this program do not need to see an individual therapist weekly in order to participate in this group, or have the option to stay with their outpatient therapist while participating in the weekly group. This group is designed for individuals looking for help coping with difficult emotions in a healthy way, increasing resiliency in the face of life’s stressors, strengthening interpersonal relationships, and using the power of mindfulness to increase the ability to enjoy life and decrease mental health symptoms. Prospective clients are encouraged to call our scheduling line to learn more about the group and schedule an initial appointment.
Locations: Plymouth and Elk River
Afternoon Groups Offered at Both Locations
Description: Our DBT Program for adolescents requires 1 individual appointment each week (either within or outside our clinic), and a twice per week 90-minute skills groups. While incorporating Linehan's curriculum, our program focuses on targeting issues and behaviors specific to adolescents ages 14-18. An adolescent may be struggling with one or more of the following when they enter our DBT program:
- Suicidal ideation and gestures
- Self-injurious behavior (self-harm)
- Relationship difficulties/peer pressure
- Low self-esteem
- Emotional dysregulation
- Failing grades
- Perfectionism and distress due to high expectations
Our experienced team of therapists will the 4 modules of DBT in the following ways:
- Mindfulness: increases awareness of the present moment (reduces anxiety regarding future, depression regarding past), teaches that the present moment is what we have control over, increases awareness of emotions and triggers for symptoms, and increases recognition of patterns of behavior that are ineffective
- Distress Tolerance: skills to manage distress in the moment (behavior replacement) in order to remain in the classroom versus leaving class and falling behind in the class which leads to more distress, healthy distractions, relaxation techniques, breathing techniques
- Emotion Regulation: adolescents are experiencing hormonal changes due to puberty, so the focus is on how to regulate emotions as best as they can given the stage of development that they are currently in. Skills focus on self-care that adolescents often struggle with (i.e. sleep, eating, exercise, avoiding mood altering substances), psychoeducation about mood altering substances including caffeine and sugar
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: relationships, how to effectively communicate their needs with parents and teachers, learning about personal values (how they differ or remain the same from parents and peers), peer pressure and matching values and behaviors, setting and maintaining healthy boundaries in relationships, identifying healthy versus unhealthy relationships.
Parents/Guardians, or Social Workers and other mental health professionals working with the adolescent are encouraged to call our scheduling line to learn more about our program and schedule an intake.. Dates and times for this program vary by location, but do not interfere with regular school hours.
DBT Aftercare Group
Description: Our DBT Aftercare group meets for 90 minutes once weekly. This group is designed for individuals who have completed a year-long adherent DBT program, but are looking to stay fresh with their skills, track urges, moods and behaviors with a diary card, continue to work toward achieving their "Life Worth Living" goals, and be a part of a community of supportive peers that encourages each other to continue using the knowledge and skills they gained in their DBT program. Clients are not required to be in individual therapy in order to be a part of this group. Please reach out to our scheduling line to see if you meet the criteria for this group.